--an entry for today--

There are two more days to go to the next Monday. Which means second half of the semester will be started within less than 60 hours from now. A vision or perhaps an imagination being a lovely, sophisticated environmental engineer (by Allah's will) gives me quite a stress. Due to the unforeseen current and future economic stability of the country which really makes me think for a while on certain things. Better not to be mentioned here as I am not keen into writing what am I thingking about right now.
I am sitting here writing my own entry while surfing other websites, and blogs when suddenly I remember Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohammad, our previous Prime Minister. Either he is beloved by us or not that is another story. Personally I adore him very much. I really do. Remember 1997? Haze, coxsackie, deflation, a year after 1998 was Anwar Ibrahim case, etcetera.
I used to take Foundation in Economic when I was in my upper secondary school and well, I got B for it. Nothing to be proud of, and I took another subject which was Financial and Economy for Engineers when I was in my second year degree course where I only got B- for it. Well I belive it's still nothing to be proud of too.
What I am trying to say here is, base from my shallow knowledge regarding economy, I just know a little bit of inflation, deflation, etcetera. I could still remember, back when I was in my form 5, my Economic teacher used to tell us about the rythm of inflation and deflation. Well, when we looked back at our country economic history for the past 22 years, there was a major deflation occur in 1986, which my mom used to say that it was pretty disastrous to the current economic activity back in those years. Kuching people used to love Kentucky Fried Chicken, and there was a KFC franchise where the area of the reastaurant was half of the ground floor of Wisma Hopoh, and suddenly due to the deflation, the restaurant had to reduce its size as what we could see today. An there was a departmental store that had to be closed down, ALSO due to the deflation. Pretty bad huh?
More or less 11 years after that, which was precisely on 1997, our country, as well as other countries in South East Asia facing the deflation problem again. Well I guess, George Soros was quite an infamous name better known the 'bad guy' in those days. He was pretty smart as he was able to manipulate South East Asia currency. If we could trace back well, 3-4 years before 1997, which was on 1993, 1994 we Malaysian used to hear this programme so called 'Inflasi Sifar' and I could still remember that there was a theme song for the programme. How cute! Yes indeed even the logo itself was pretty cute. Correct me if I am wrong.
I was quite young, as I was only 7 or 8 years, so I didn't really bother about inflation and stuff. I didn't even notice if the price of the goods are high or not. Regardless the price of the petrol, and tolls nowadays. Yes, I am being quite sarcastic here. As we can see nowadays, the prices of local commodities are quite high compared to the last 10 years. But it is not yet to be called inflation as we could still find quite a number of unemployment around not to say most of the jobs are taking over by the foreigners, or the fact that Malaysians don't really do such jobs such as being a construction worker or a housemaid.
And now we are just at the beginning of 2008, and it is nearly 11 years since we have left 1997. Alhamdullilah, so far, being not so up to date with the current economics news nationally, or wordwidely, I haven't see any signs of deflation YET, but maybe we are coming towards to the inflation perhaps. I do not really know. However I could see the buying power of Malaysian has increases to a degree where we could clearly see many international, elegant, brands are in the market. Prada, Gucci, Hermes, Coach, you name it.
But I just really hope that the year which I will be graduated which will be on 2009 is not going to be a year where I am going to be jobless due to deflation. Thank you for reading.

--end--

Comments

Popular Posts