--The Lion of the Desert--

Assalamua’alaikum and hello to all...

“O ye who believed! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint”

-translated from Surah ‘Ali-Imran, verse 183-

First of all, I would like to wish everyone…Happy fasting!!!! Today’s 30th Sya’aban, 1427 Hijrah. And since it’s Maghrib already, so automatically today’s is the first day of Ramdhan 1427 Hijrah. Ramadhan has come…Alhamdulillah… I’m still given the chance by Him to pleasure this blessed month. The month of barakah… The month where all Muslims commit to one ibadah which is fasting. The one month where everyone’s is racing to gain as much rewards and blessings from Allah Azzawajalla as much as they could. The none other month where there’ll be the one night which is much better than a thousand months- Lailatul Qadar.
Well, well, well, enough talking ‘bout Ramadhan.. I’m sure u guys are more knowledgeable about this month compared to me…Once, one of my friends asked me, “Maz, don’t ya have any other idol other than these sexy ladies (Marilyn Monroe, Barbara Mori, Thalia, etc)?”. Of course I do…And that’s who’s I’m going to talk about tonite…Want to share with u guys who he really is… Have you ever watch Lion of the Desert??? Starring Anthony Quinn, directed by Moustapha Akkad. I don’t know whether it was a box office movie or not. But I noe it’s a great movie about a great warrior. It’s all about the none other, Omar Mukhtar.
I remember I watched the film when I was 9 years old with my father. It was a late nite movie thou. At that time, I didn’t know who this guy really is, but my father told me that he is a great guy from Libya who wants to free his country from the Italian colonization. I was touched at the part when he was sentenced executed by hanging in front of the public, in front of his followers. When asked to say any of his last word, he replied with a Quran clause, ”From God we have come, to Him we must return”. And it was on 16 of September 1931. Thirty two years before Malaysia was born.
After a few years, I was fourteen if I’m not mistaken, I watched the movie again for the second time, and I get to know Omar Mukhtar ‘closer’. Omar Mukhtar (1862-1931) was a Quran teacher by profession, and was also skilled in desert guerilla tactics. He knew his country’s geography well, and used his knowledge to his advantages in battles against the Italians, who were not accustomed to desert warfare. From a teacher, he became a freedom fighter. He repeatedly led his small, highly mobile groups in successful attacks against the Italians, after which they would fade back into the dessert terrain. Mukhtar’s men skillfully attacked outposts, ambushed troops, and cut lines of supply and communication. The Italians were left astonished and embarrassed to have been outsmarted and outmaneuvered by a mere bedoin.
Mukhtar’s nearly twenty year struggle came to an end when he became wounded in battle and was subsequently captured by the Italian army. The Libyan hero was treated like a prize catch by the Italians. Though in his seventies, Mukhtar was shackled with heavy chains from his waist and wrist because the army’s fear he just might escape. Mukhtar’s capture was a serious blow to his people. However, his resilience had an impact on his jailors, who later said they were overwhelmed by his steadfastness. His interrogators later confessed that Mukhtar looked them in the eye and read the verses of piece from the Quran as he was tortured and interrogated. Later, he was sentenced executed by hanging in front of his followers. His fight for freedom for the sake of Allah wasn’t ended there, and will never end I believe. Let’s recite prayer that he’ll be among the blessed by Allah, Al-Fatihah.

--we will never surrender, we win or we die; Omar Mukhtar--

Comments

Popular Posts